Monday 31 March 2014

Butterfly Cards for any occasion - using Stampin' Up! ® products

Yesterday was Mother's Day in the UK. As usual my cards were a last minute make, which is why I am only just posting pictures of them today!

When I first started making cards two years ago, I had no idea things such as craft rubber stamps existed. My knowledge of stamping was limited to the types of stamps that get used in banks or the post office. The second cards I made (after my husband's 40th birthday cards) were Mother's Day cards for my Mum and Mother-in-Law. I got my eldest son to finger paint the a sheet of card with different shades of blue paint or red paint. I then cut out a butterfly from a card blank, by hand, from a tracing of a picture of a butterfly and stuck the painted background behind it. I wrote the sentiment on by hand using children's metallic paint pens. Needless to say when I look at the pictures I took now I cringe slightly by how amateurish they look, but at the time I was very proud of myself!

I decided to recreate that first Mother's Day card design after talking to someone about the shaving foam ink marbling technique.

Stampin up beautiful butterfly bigz ink marbling Tracy May card making ideas


I don't own an e-cutter (yet!) so I cut out a butterfly using the Beautiful Butterfly Bigz die and then traced around the outline on a piece of Whisper White card stock. I cut the butterfly by hand using a craft knife and cutting mat. I coloured around the outline with a Coastal Cabana Stampin' Write Marker. The marbled ink effect was done using drops of Pool Party, Coastal Cabana and Bermuda Bay re-inkers swirled in shaving foam. It's a fantastic technique, really good fun and a little messy! My boys will love trying this out! I spritzed the card with Vanilla Shimmer Smooch Spray to jazz it up a bit too.

Stampin up beautiful butterfly bigz ink marbling Tracy May card making ideas



The sentiment is printed from MDS (My Digital Studio) straight onto the card blank. I mounted the butterfly onto Bermuda Bay as a frame.  

The second card I made was just as much fun. 

Stampin up beautiful butterfly bigz Tracy May card making ideas

I stamped the Dictionary background stamp (clear or wood) using Early Espresso onto Whisper White and sponged  around the edges with Soft Suede. I mounted this onto Soft Suede card and stitched the butterflies onto it. The large butterfly is cut using the Beautiful Butterflies Bigz die from the Real Red Polka Dot Parade DSP. The smaller butterfly is cut from the Elegant Butterfly punch and sponged around the edges with Soft Suede. I stitched this onto a piece of 1 1/4" Burlap ribbon, which I then stitched to a piece of Fresh Prints DSP stack layered onto Crumb Cake. I stuck this onto a Whisper White card blank. I finished the card off with a sentiment from Itty Bitty Banners (wood or  clear) stamped in Soft Suede and cut out using the Bitty Banners framelits

I hope you've enjoyed today's projects. Don't forget today is the last day of Sale-a-bration so if you would like to take advantage please click below to shop or join my team. If you prefer to contact me directly the details are at the bottom of the post.

Have a great day





2 comments :

  1. Love these cards Tracy! The shaving foam technique is such fun (as those coming to the Pinkies weekend in Birmingham will find out!) and I am a real fan of stitching on cards - I found an old sewing machine at a car boot so I don't have to use my "sewing" machine! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicky. Shame I'm not coming to Birmingham. Sounds like it will be fab!! Have fun xx

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and saying hi x