Friday 9 May 2014

A "bokeh effect" background using Stampin' Up! products

Good morning everyone. I hope you are well. Well super fast, it seems, we are back to gearing up for the weekend. We're busy this weekend but not with social engagements for us. The boys have parties both Saturday and Sunday - they have better social lives than my husband and I! Lol.

The weather hasn't been that great for the last few days. It's been quite cold and rainy and not May-like at all. I felt in the need for some bright cheery colours, so today's project is using Daffodil Delight. It was actually super quick to make. I knocked it up this morning just before taking my son to playgroup as I changed my mind about what I wanted to post this morning! That's one of the perks of being your own boss!

Stampin-up-petite-petals-bokeh-effect-background-Tracy-May-card-making-ideas

I've been wanting to try out this background technique for a while. I believe it's called bokeh, which has been borrowed from photography. In photography the technique is used to blur the background of a photograph so the main focus of the image is sharp. The result is a series of "spots" of varying densities in the background. 

For my background I used a pencil with an eraser on the end. I simply inked the eraser with Daffodil Delight ink and stamped it randomly over the Whisper White card layer. I stamped a few times before re-inking to get the various shades. I really like the effect. 

Stampin up bokeh effect background Petite Petals punch Tracy May card making ideas


I decorated the card with some Linen Thread and Burlap Ribbon for the banner, over which I stuck a sentiment stamped in Black StazOn using the Express Yourself hostess set (wood/clear) onto Whisper White. I punched the flowers from Whisper White and Daffodil Delight using the Petite Petals Punch and one of the shapes from the Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack. I then layered the card front onto a layer of Daffodil Delight mounted onto a Whisper White card blank.

I think this would make a great card for a few occasions - a thank you card or Easter card for example!

I hope you like it. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend.




5 comments :

  1. love the colours, the background, the burlap......just everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mix of the clean white and yellow with the rustic burlap. Those flowers are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and saying hi x